From Kuala Lumpur to Kolkata

An inexplicable feeling enveloped me as we booked tickets for our annual visit back to India. My first time visit to my in-laws place , my journey through 3 cities before I reached back kolkata..all of them made me indecisive about going back. Yet the euphoria of going back home bubbled up inside me. So tickets in hand, bags packed we set out to the airport for our visit back to the motherland. We were travelling in two seperate airlines ( trust me there is a reason for this but its too long an explanation , which if anyone is interested will explain personally) . We timed it the best we could, so Subhashish would be landing about 30mins after me. We were due to visit Hyderabad first. As always with us , major events and decisions, pass smoothly, its the minor, memorable moments that get goofed up..So my plane was 5 mins early and his was 60 mins late!! The moment I took my first steps off the plane a cool wind blew across my face. It was a warm welcoming feeling , and had I not all the restraint of an Englishwoman, I would have bent down there ,right on the airport stretch and kissed the soil. But being inately self consious and restrained I killed that urge, plasted a smile and walked towards the exit to face the gruesome waiting in the airport immigration. Lo! and behold there was no waiting I landed at 12 and was out of the airport by 12.10!! The first feeling of disbelieve set in ..am I in India? I was instantly elated about the service in Hyderabad airport, not only was the airport at par with any international airport but the service was stupendous, they even had my luggage all neatly kept aside from the conveyer belt because it had a Fragile Sticker on it. So taking my trolley bag I set out to get the smell of Hyderabad . I was merrily heading onto the airport parking lot loving the slight chill in the air, as bits and pieces of various indian language drifted around me when I saw our friends going up the stairs to recieve us. They called out my name..my name, Deepanwita not some mangled version of it. It was the final feeling of homecoming that yes I was back in India where people no matter of caste, creed ,state, knew how to pronounce an Indian name!! I was not Dee, Sen , or "you" here, I was Deepanwita Sen bengali, Indian!! I was happy to be back. We chatted, caught up on times as we waited for the latecomer to arrive!! Finally Subhashish's offendingly late plane landed and we were on our way back to stay at a friend's place. (friends name : Asthana) .

Hyderabad:
I was visitng Hyderabad after four long years, and how the city had changed. The welcoming sight of the boulders had been replaced with halfbaked construction sites , the city was filled with concrete and at first I could not relate to the city where I used to live, used to work, where I fell in love. There were overhead bridges, buildings sprawling up all over the place. It reeked of growth, prosperity and I felt dissapointed about the lost charm. We made our way back to Asthana's place through streets vaguely fimiliar and somewhat unknown. Once we were at his flat, we quickly freshned up and then sat down with some good old Glen and Bikanir!! We reminisced about life, love, we talked about future, about growth.. caught up. Next day we were given the grand tour. The Largest shopping Mall in India has been made in Durgam Chervu, and the beautiful lake there which was surrounded by boulders had been lost. I guess that meant "Save the Rocks" society was not a success story after all. The lake however was still there, but the charming beauty was either lost or hidden. I had some beautiful memories there but alas now they are nothing but memories for me to visit at ungaurded moments. We toasted to prosperity later in the night with the famous grilled chicken of Hyderabad. Next day we bid our adieu's , onwards to Bangalore..
Bangalore:
Bangalore Airport was another wonder, it was huge , it was fast and it was efficient ! The time travel between the airport and the city however is long and expensive by Indian standards.
Bangalore however had not changed much, it was the same . The weather was pleasant, the roads crowded, the people inquisitive. We were staying with family, so we didnt go out too much, spent time catching up with them. It was a wonderful relaxed feeling.

Delhi and Agra:
Delhi as a city is consistently inconsistent. It had significantly changed from the last time I saw it and this change somehow added to the beauty of the city. The entire place was networked by the metro, which for travellers like us was quick and easy. Gurgaon was a wonder with wide spaced clean roads . However, the december/jan weather was not for faint hearted people like me..We were staying with Family here as well. My in laws stay in a place called Bahadurgarh. An hour from Delhi , the place has a rustic charm, laid back and languid . There was nothing to do there but soak in the sun, eat and sleep. The house was set across a park and by eight everything shuts down. But I loved the peace and tranquility. We relaxed and lounged about , chatting with my dad-in-law and mom-in-law. We passed days by playing 29 late into the night, eating some really awesome food (my dad-in-law is a fantastic cook) . What was pertinent about Delhi/Gurgaon is that even though it is a progressive city, it still has a historical charm. The ancient architechture along with modern march along side-by-side, and people give due attention to both.
Agra:
As we entered the city, I was transported back to the Mughalian era. Taj was after all the edifice of love and what better way to get a look at it than with people you love. It was a sight to behold. White Marble with ornate designs on it. Exquisite Mughalian art. It was as they say a sight to behold and remember. The white marble against the red bricks around and behind it is truely one of the worlds most gorgeous architechture. There is a humbling feeling as you walk around it and feel the cool marble floor under your feet. It was worth the visit, just to get a glimpse of this enormous love edifice dedicated to a life of memories built together.
Kolkata:
After the blurr of 4 cities , I reached Kolkata. What can I say about the soul of India??
It is what it always was.. a heady brew of life’s contradictions and extremities – massive wealth next to heart-breaking poverty, teeming slums not far from five star hotels. Her beauty has not diminished at all, keeping aside the Political Stigma she is famous for her people have not lost their warmth, friendliness, helpful nature. And ofcourse her cuisines are as mouthwatering .
Kolkata is home, the comfortable shoes, the heady sense of belonging, it is where mom and dad is . It was everything I hoped to get and more. She was what I was looking forward to , and she didnt dissappoint me!!

1 comments:

Anusree said...

and I love it. Thanks for giving me a glimpse of Hyd the city from where we have so many memories of all our advetures. I loved the Kolkata part more for the inner connections. It's where Home if truly :)

Keep it flowing

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Singapore, Singapore
Im just a dreamer, I dream my life away, Im just a dreamer, who dreams of better days