Some Coffee and some reminiscing


I sit on a roadside cafe , having Kopi in Kuala Lumpur and I think :

I am glad that I belong to Kolkata. I wondered about it at first , but after three days of living in Kuala Lumpur I was certain. It is impossible to be really lonely in Kolkata. There is no conceivable comparison between Kolkata and Kuala Lumpur. There is something in the warm dusty air in Kolkata. It intoxicates you and it is easy to forget yourself ,your demons because of a little tattered book in a collection of books on the side of a quay in College Street, because of an ancient man with a long white beard and balding head , because of Hoogly Bridge with its network of cables standing out starkly against the sunset, with one white cloud in a pink sky; and then gathering these things to me and walking away in any direction , rubbing shoulders with people who smiled, coming to a roadside cafe where the thick sheet of black rubber sheet just about covers the owner's head and there would not be an inch of room on the pavement to stand , yet order the inevitable "cha". The smell of burnt milk and Wills cigarettes and the sombere eyes of a college goer and his speech about injustices the Govt is making.

It seems to me that there is no finality to these pictures ; they were little flashs of life that broke in upon the line of vision and were etched in my memory as the sights and sounds of my home land. I sit here in this cafe blocked by a hum of voices and a hundred eager waving hands and I say to myself " I wish I was home". Yet, I want to share this enthusiasm here and loose my self , in some belief, no matte what it should be, only for the zest and the fire of the believing. I want to be blindly interested in the glimpses of life that comes in my way here, I want to build little pictures that people in Kuala Lumpur give of themselves and mirror them in my mind. I want to do an impressionistic study , patches of colour and flashes of gloom , so that in some strange way I am dragged into the picture , caught up in it and carried along with no time for reflexion , no time for being entirely alone in a room and thinking.

As i was saying the Kopi here is hot and strong and brings about emotions one is not equipped to handle....however the sound of kolkata took me away from the silence of my life in kuala lumpur..only till the coffee lasted.

4 comments:

Blowfish said...

Homesick r u?

Unknown said...

Yo Yo Yo Guria !!!

I distinctly smelt the kopi. :) Also, what flair in your writing -- it is as if you painted Kol Kata. You have it in you --- just keep on at it. Did you know that a low is the beginning of the next high ? Tell us about Kola Lumpur -- surely it must be as writable about as Jadavpur or Bhowanipur. Keenly looking forward !!
kiises and a hug. Gautam Da

Unknown said...

Dogne, u rock! Made me happy to be here, once more. Sometimes I wonder..... whether it has been fine to be here all along.... but then soon I know and I smile:) Miss u and looking forward to your next!

Divya said...

I like the new look blog ... it's freaky! Where did you get it from?!

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Singapore, Singapore
Im just a dreamer, I dream my life away, Im just a dreamer, who dreams of better days